Our Gasthof is located in Sillian, right in the middle of the Hochpustertal. The valley extends from EastTyrol over to South Tyrol and is surrounded by the Sextener and Lienzer Dolomites, as well as by the Villgrater Mountains. The Hochpustertal and its side valleys (Villgratental Valley, Gail Valley) have a lot to offer, both in summer and in winter:
Your summer holiday in Hochpustertal
- You will love hiking in the Hochpustertal: from easy loops to challenging routes, the amazing alpine scenario will take your breath away. Moreover several cottages will welcome you along the way to have a rest and a taste of the delicious local food. Among the most popular hiking experiences we can mention the routes on the Carnic Crest or the so-called “Über die Jöcher” path, between the Villgratental Valley in Austria and the Gsiesertal Valley in Italy. The “Herz-Ass-Wanderweg” trail, open since June 2013, enables advanced hikers to complete the Villgrater Mountains tour in six legs. You will certainly enjoy the guided tour to the ice caves in Obstans.
- In summer, our region is home to the ultimate family vacation as well: the adventure park “Wichtelpark” will make your children’s heart race and in the wild park in Assling, the local wild animals can be seen at an incredibly short distance. Every Wednesday is “Family Day” at the Thurntaler Mountain: on this day various activities are organized for your children. The alpine roller-coasters in Innichen, Assling and Lienz provide fun for all the family.
- The several mountain railways in the immediate surroundings will comfortably lift you up high on our amazing mountains. There you can dwell and enjoy the nature, or start the route that most suits your hiking abilities.
- The Drauradweg is the best cycling route in the region, and it extends through Sillian. After a 30 km drive downriver, you will reach Lienz, from which it is possible to get back to Sillian by train: the perfect family getaway. The mountain-bikers will enjoy the various cross country mountain bike routes, the most advanced bikers can take the challenge of the “Stoneman-Trail” , a 120 km long route with a 4.000 meters elevation difference.
- The Dolomites are famous to be a climbers’ paradise. Various routes and climbing gardens offer the perfect climbing conditions for every climbers’ need. At a walking distance from our Gasthof you will be able to test your skills in the ropes courses; within a 15 minute drive from the Gasthof, you will find the well-known rope route for advanced climbers, the “Galitzenklamm”.
- The culture lovers will discover various places of interest and small museums, such as the Carriage Museum in Obertilliach, the Anras Castle, the Wurzerhof in Außervillgraten; our region hosts several traditional feasts throughout the summer. At the end of June, choirs from all over the world gather in the Hochpustertal to attend the International Choir Festival, delighting their audience with more than 60 performances in different locations.
- OUR TIP: With the Osttirol Card you can visit 22 attractions in East Tyrol at a very convenient price!
Your winter holidays in Hochpustertal
Our Gasthof is the perfect starting point for your winter activities:
- You can choose between two snow-sure ski resorts that are just within a 5 minute drive from our Gasthof: on the East Tyrolean side the family ski resort Thurntaler will provide fun for all the family, on the Italian side, in South Tyrol, the amazing ski resort Helm will be glad to welcome you.
- Lifts are not always needed to visit our astonishing alpine world: the mountains surrounding Sillian are best known as a ski touring paradise. It doesn’t matter if in the Villgratental Valley, in the Gail Valley or in the close Hochpustertal in South Tyrol: you will enjoy leaving your ski traces in our snowed-in nature!
- All around Sillian cross-coutry skiers will have the chance to perform their favorite sport. The biggest cross-country track in Europe (the Dolomiti Nordic Ski, a 1.300 km long track) passes through Sillian; in the famous biathlon fields in Obertilliach you will find snow-sure tracks, on which you can have your first biathlon experiences. Various smaller tracks (such as those in Innervillgraten, Winkeltal or in Außervillgraten) offer the possibility to cross country ski in total relax while enjoying the breath-taking nature.
- Snowshoeing or just walking one of the several winter routes are also awesome ways of experiencing our wonderful nature. Just enjoy the peace and the fresh air of our region!
- The diverse sledding routes (partly provided with night illumination) are pretty famous in our region. You will love the 7 km route, starting from Leckfeldalm! Ice-skating and curling are among the possible sports that can be performed on the ice-skating rings of our region.
- Park Winterwichtelland offers since 2012 the best of snow fun for your kids. They will ski on the skiing carousel, as well as snowtube, snowraft and sled on a böckel, and they will not easily forget their holidays in the Hochpustertal!